Department of Visual and Performing Arts
Welcome to the website of the Shaw University Department of Visual and Performing Arts. The music program offers a full performing major and minor.
The mission of the Department of Visual and Performing Arts is to prepare, nurture, and develop individual musicianship and dramatic proficiency on a professional level of artistic accomplishment. To this end, the Department of Visual and Performing Arts will maintain a curriculum of study relevant to the student's long-term personal and professional goals.
Music Admission Requirements
- AUDITION: Prospective students must perform an audition of two prepared pieces in contrasting styles. Audition times are posted during the first week of classes. In addition, applicants may be asked to sight-read.
- MUSIC THEORY DIAGNOSTIC EXAM: Students will take an examination in music fundamentals including clefs, key signatures, scales, triads, and seventh chords. A music minor is available and requires 15 credit hours.
Music Program Learning Outcomes
- Students who can link stylistic traits with given historical periods
- Students who can analyze and discuss music
- Students who can demonstrate appropriate performance
Shaw University Department of Visual and Performing Arts
118 E. South Street |
Raleigh, NC 27601