Shaw University Libraries
Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need in order to check out books from the library?
All students, faculty and staff will need their library or campus ID card to check out books from all libraries on campus.
- Can I check out books without my library or campus ID?
- Do I have to come to the library to search the catalog?
No. The library catalog for all three libraries is accessible online via our school web page under the “Academics” tab or the “Libraries” tab at the top of the home page.
- Must books be returned to the same library from which it was checked out ?
No. They may be returned to any library on campus.
- How do I renew a book without coming to the library?
Books may be renewed in person, by emailing (email@example.com) or by calling the circulation desk at (919) 546-8407.
- I received a notice for a book I returned. What should I do next?
Contact the library as soon as possible by phone (919) 546-8407 or email the Circulation Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where and when do I pay overdue fines and fees for late, lost or damaged books?
Fines are paid at the front desk of the James E. Cheek Library. Privileges will be suspended until all fines are paid.
- How do I place a hold on a library book?
Books may be placed on hold in person at the circulation desk, by calling (919) 546-8407, or by emailing email@example.com.
- What do I do if the library does not have the book I am looking for?
Shaw University is a member of the CRC (Cooperating Raleigh Colleges) which allows Shaw students to use library facilities at Meredith College, NC State University, Peace College and St. Augustine’s College. Resources may also be obtained through Inter-Library Loan from other colleges, universities and public libraries.
- How do I access e-books?
Presently, e-books can be accessed through the NC Live home page.