General Library Policies (On Campus)
- No food or drink allowed in the library.
- Loud conversations are not permitted in the library; please keep voices to a minimum.
- Cell phones must be kept on vibrate when using the library.
- Foul language and profanity are not permitted in the library.
- No alcohol or smoking is permitted in the library.
- No weapons of any kind allowed in the library.
- All Shaw students must use a valid Shaw ID card (only) to check out library materials.
- Materials may be borrowed for two weeks (10 days).
- Students may check out up to 10 items at one time if they do not have any outstanding fines or overdue library materials.
- Overdue fines are $.15 per day.
- Reserved books must be used in the library only.
- Materials may be renewed twice if no one has requested them.
- Renewals may be made by phone, or in-person at the circulation desk.
- All materials are subject to recall if needed by another user.
- Library users must not remove or attempt to remove library materials or property without checking them out or without proper authorization.
- Users should not mutilate or damage materials or tear pages from library books.
- Patrons are responsible for lost or damaged materials. If an item is lost, the borrower will be charged the cost of the item plus a $10.00 processing fee. If the item is found within 30 days of payment, the item may be returned to the library and a refund will be issued.
Interlibrary Loan Q & A
Q. Who may use Interlibrary Loan services at Shaw University?
A. Interlibrary Loan is a borrowing service available to current students, faculty and staff at Shaw University.
Q. Are there limitations on requests? How many requests can patrons make per week?
A. Up to five requests may be made per week.
Q. How long does it take for the items to arrive?
A. At least 2 weeks (10 days) should be allowed for materials to arrive.
Q. Where are items picked up and how is notification made for where to pick up the items? Where are items returned?
A. Borrowers are sent an email when the ILL requests arrive. Pickup and return is at the main library circulation desk.
Q. What is the lending period?
A. Usually 2 weeks, or as determined by the lending library.
Q. How are items renewed?
A. Renewal procedures are determined by the lending library.
Q. How are materials requested?
A. Most requests are sent by email although borrowers may complete a request a form at the library circulation desk.
Q. Are there charges for overdue Interlibrary Loan?
A. There are no charges for borrowing books and materials on Interlibrary loan; however, if an item is lost, the replacement cost of the item is charged to the borrower.
Reference & Computer Lab Policies
- Reference materials must be used in the library only and may not be checked out of the library.
- Students may call to make an appointment with the reference librarian if a research consultation is needed.
- Students must sign in with a valid Shaw ID when using the computer lab.
- Computer lab is used on a first come first served basis.
- Students may not carry food or drink into the computer lab.
- Computers are for research purposes, only. Security will be notified if persons are found to be viewing pornographic or other offensive materials.
- Students may not download to computer hard drives.
- There is no charge for printing.
- Users must abide by the University's Computer and network policy. (See technology policy)
- Reference requests by Shaw students and faculty may be submitted online via the Ask-A-Librarian and NCKnows websites. Responses from these websites received within 24 hours or less. Both sites are available during regular hours of operation to all Shaw University students and faculty on-campus and at remote sites.
Library Policies for CAPE (Distance Education) Students
Library Resource Rooms are located at each (CAPE) distance learning location for students and faculty. Each resource room is equipped with reference and general books for the specialized disciplines taught at the site, as well as daily newspapers, desktop computers and printers.
The library resource rooms at the CAPE sites are not staffed. Although a limited number of physical books in the teaching disciplines are available, access to library resources is provided mainly through online resources and written partnering agreements with local academic libraries. Shaw University students are allowed to use and borrow materials from the partnering academic libraries. Students who violate borrowing privileges of the partnering libraries by losing or not returning books, etc will be charged the replacement cost of the items and may have their borrowing privileges revoked. Books and materials located in the Resource Rooms may be used in the Resource Rooms only. Students may make copies of materials using the copy machine at each CAPE site.
Most databases are available off campus. You will need your University ID number and the login password “shawbears.” If you do not have a card, your ID number should have been mailed to you with your admissions/registration materials. If you do not or have not received this information, you can call the Help Desk at (919) 546-8587 or you may call 1-800-214-6683 and ask for the Help Desk.
On site computer access
All computers in the library require you to log in. Your login name is your Shaw U ID # and your pin. You may call or email the Help Desk if you have trouble accessing the databases or logging on to the computers. The main campus library staff cannot assist you if your login and/or pin do not work. You must call the Help Desk for assistance.
Distance education students can receive reference assistance by phone or online using the Ask-A-Librarian feature. Library liaisons are also available during regular library hours to answer questions and assist students online or by phone. A toll free contact phone number is listed on the liaison posters located on the wall of each CAPE resource room. Students may also ask questions using the new NC Knows reference feature and receive an immediate response.