Travel and Parking Instructions for Commencement at J.S. Dorton Arena
Saturday, May 11, 2013 - Doors will open at 9:00 a.m.
Due to a conflict with the Capital City Classic 10K run that will transverse throughout the city on May 11, 2013, we are asking that all Shaw family and friends use the alternate route listed below:
Family members and guests coming to the campus prior to graduation will need to come in on 40 East/West to exit 299 (Person Street). At the bottom of the exit, turn left onto Person Street. After the third light you will see the campus entrance on left.
Buses, faculty, staff, students and family members traveling from the campus to Dorton Arena
- Start out going east on E South St toward S Blount St.
- Turn right onto S Blount St. S Blount St becomes Hammond Rd.
- Merge onto I-40 W/US-64 W toward Cary/Durham.
- Take the I-440 E/US-1/US-64 W exit, EXIT 293, toward Raleigh/Wake Forest/Cary.
- Merge onto I-440 E/Cliff Benson Beltline/US-1 N via EXIT 293B toward Raleigh/Wake Forest.
- Take the NC 64/Hillsborough Street exit toward Cary.
- Merge Right onto Hillsborough Street.
- Dorton Arena is on the right at the Hillsborough Street/Blue Ridge Road intersection
- Family members and guests traveling from Raleigh by way of Hillsborough Street:
Turn right onto Blue Ridge Road and turn left onto Trinity Road (Next Street after passing Gate 11). Proceed forward to Gate 9; parking is located in this area.
- Graduates and Faculty traveling from Raleigh by way of Hillsborough Street:
After reaching the Fairgrounds, continue to Youth Center Road (Next Street after
Passing Gate 2) and turn right onto Youth Center Road. Turn right into Gates 4 or 5 to park.
- Graduates and Faculty traveling on I-40 or 64 West should take Wade Avenue (Exit 289) to the Blue Ridge Road exit. When traveling East, turn right at the top of the Blue Ridge Road exit ramp. When traveling West, turn left at the top of the Blue Ridge Road exit ramp. Turn right onto Trinity Road. Turn left on Youth Center Road (Across from Carter Finley Stadium). Proceed to Gate 4 and 5 (on left) for parking.
- Family members and guests traveling on I-40 or 64 West should take Wade Avenue (Exit 289) to the Blue Ridge Road exit. When traveling East, turn right at the top of the Blue Ridge Road exit ramp. When traveling West, turn left at the top of the Blue Ridge Road exit ramp. Stay on Blue Ridge Road to Trinity Road and make a right. Proceed to Gate 9 (on your right). Proceed forward upon entering the gate- parking is located in this area.
Gates 4 and 5- Entrance and parking for graduates and faculty
Gate 9 - Entrance and parking for family and guest(s)
Note: Deputies and Officers will be posted at these gates to direct traffic and parking.