Commencement - Graduation Clearance Process
As you make final preparations for completing your academic tenure at Shaw University, please be reminded of the Graduation Clearance Process for all prospective graduates. Listed below are the steps you must complete before your diploma package is distributed to you. Additionally, deadlines for completing the graduation clearance process and degree conferral dates are included.
|Learning Resource Center, 1st Floor
|| To ensure that all library holdings have been returned.
To ensure that all outstanding library fines have been paid.
|Graphics Building, 1st Floor
|| To ensure that all outstanding fines or parking tickets have been paid.
||Experiential Learning and Career Development
|The MLK House
(302 Martin Luther King Blvd @ Person Street)
| To complete a placement survey, supervisor evaluation form, and register to receive additional résumé preparation
assistance, if necessary.
|Debnam Hall, 1st Floor
|| To ensure that all exit loan counseling has been completed, as applicable.
Last name begins with:
|Tyler Hall, Ground Floor
||To ensure that there is no outstanding balance owed to Shaw University.
||Alumni Relations and Planned Giving
|Estey Hall, 2nd Floor
|| To complete the graduate contact form
|Once you have completed the semester, the Registrar’s Office (919-546-8415) will perform your final degree audit, confer your degree, and order your diploma if you have completed all requirements and all clearances.
- You will need to visit each of the offices listed above to be cleared. CAPE students may call the offices to be cleared. Once you have cleared, that office will make a note in the student information system of your status.
- Step #1 for prospective graduates from the CAPEs will be reported directly to the main campus library by the CAPE Directors.
- If you begin the process and later realize that you will not complete degree requirements on your anticipated graduation date, you will need to complete and submit a new graduation application for the subsequent semester and restart the process at Step #1.
Degree Conferral Dates
- Fall 2012 Candidates – January 31, 2013
- Spring 2013 Candidates – May 11, 2013
- Summer 2012 Candidates – September 30, 2012
If you need a letter of completion (for an employer, graduate school, etc.) any time between the end of your finals semester and the degree conferral date, you will need to contact the Registrar’s Office at 919-546-8415.