Commencement - Graduation Clearance Process
The final week of clearance is May 5-9, 2014
As you make final preparations for completing your academic tenure at Shaw University, please be reminded of the Graduation Clearance Process for all prospective graduates. Listed below are the steps you must complete before your diploma package is distributed to you. Additionally, deadlines for completing the graduation clearance process and degree conferraldates are included.
|Step ||Office ||Location ||Purpose |
|1 ||Library |
|James E. Cheek Learning Resource Center, 1st Floor ||To ensure that all library holdings have been returned. |
To ensure that all outstanding library fines have been paid.
|2 ||Campus Security |
|University Graphics Building, 1st Floor ||To ensure that all outstanding fines or parking tickets have been paid. |
|3 ||Experiential Learning and Career Development |
|The MLK House |
(302 Martin Luther King Blvd @ Person Street)
|To complete the Registration Form, click here. |
If you had an internship while at Shaw University, your Supervisor
must complete the Internship Supervisor Evaluation Form. To
complete the form, click here.
|4 ||Financial Aid |
|Debnam Hall, 1st Floor ||To ensure that all exit loan counseling has been completed, as applicable. |
|5 ||Student Accounts |
|Tyler Hall, 1st Floor ||To ensure that there is no outstanding balance owed to Shaw University. |
|6 ||Alumni Relations and Planned Giving |
|Daniels House (White House) || To complete the graduate contact form |
|7 ||Office of Strategic Planning |
Institutional Research and
|Estey Hall, 2nd Floor, Room 206 ||Complete the online version of the College Senior Survey (CSS). |
The survey measures student satisfaction with their educational
experience at the University. You will receive a link at your
ShawBears e-mail account.
|Once you have completed the semester, the Registrar’s Office, Tyler Hall,1st floor, (919-546-8415) will perform your final degree audit, confer your degree, and order your diploma if you have completed all requirements and all clearances. |
- You will need to visit each of the offices listed above to be cleared. CAPE students may call the offices to be cleared. Once you have cleared, that office will make a note in the student information system of your status.
- Step #1 for prospective graduates from the CAPEs will be reported directly to the main campus library by the CAPE Directors.
- If you begin the process and later realize that you will not complete degree requirements on your anticipated graduation date, you will need to complete and submit a new graduation application for the subsequent semester and restart the process at Step #1.
Graduation Clearance Process Deadlines
- Fall 2013 Candidates – Friday, December 6, 2013
- Spring 2014 Candidates – Monday, May 5, 2014
- Summer 2014 Candidates – Friday, June 13, 2014
Degree Conferral Dates
- Fall 2013 Candidates – Friday, January 31, 2014
- Spring 2014 Candidates – Saturday, May 10, 2014
- Summer 2014 Candidates – Tuesday, September 30, 2014
If you need a letter of completion (for an employer, graduate school, etc.) any time between the end of your finals semester and the degree conferral date, you will need to contact the Registrar’s Office at 919-546-8415.