The goals of the Department of Education are:
1. to align the institutional mission and goals with state, regional, national, and departmental standards and requirements;
2. to prepare candidates to work in schools as teachers who know and can demonstrate the content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to help all P-12 students learn;
3. to implement an assessment system that collects and analyzes data on applicant qualifications, candidate and graduate performance, and unit operations to evaluate and improve the unit and its programs;
4. to collaborate with school partners to design, implement, and evaluate field experiences and clinical practice so that teacher candidates develop and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to help all students learn;
5. to design, implement, and evaluate curriculum and experiences for candidates to acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to help all students learn;
6. to maintain a qualified faculty that models best professional practices in scholarship, service, and teaching; and
7. to maintain the leadership, authority, budget, personnel, facilities, and resources for the preparation of candidates to meet professional, state, and institutional standards.