MISSION AND GOALS
Teaching can be considered as both an art and a science, and, just as with many other professions, the development of excellence is a continuous life-long challenging process. The Faculty Development Program strives to empower Shaw University faculty by providing professional, instructional, and curricular development opportunities. The fulfillment of our mission and goals is made possible by:
- Creating an office that provides opportunities and resources to help the faculty strengthen their teaching and technological skills.
- Providing funds for faculty to attend conferences and workshops pertinent to teaching and the learning process.
- Organizing in-house workshops and conferences on the integration and use of technology for the delivery of information in the classroom.
- Instituting activities that help new faculty quickly adjust and get assimilated into the institutional and professional arenas.
- Providing a supportive and rewarding system for faculty who are innovative and are recognized by their peers for their excellence in teaching, advancing of learning, and scholarship.
- Providing financial assistance in the form of mini-grant awards for activities and projects geared toward promoting and improving teaching effectiveness, scholarship, and enhancing student learning.
- Providing a forum for faculty to dialog with one another -brown-bag seminars - sharing ideas, discussing issues that are pertinent to the overall teaching profession, individual research, and / or student learning, while also creating a sense of community.