Shaw University Names Presidential Search Committee
September 20, 2013 - Dr. Joseph N. Bell, chair of the Shaw University Board of Trustees, announced today the appointment of the Shaw University Presidential Search Committee. A national search will be conducted to replace current Shaw President Dr. Dorothy Cowser Yancy, who will be retiring. Dr. Yancy has served with distinction as the University’s 14th and 16th president.
"While there is always more to do, I am proud of what has been accomplished during my tenure at Shaw," said President Yancy. "It has been a pleasure to serve this great University, and I am confident that our students, faculty, staff, alumni and Board of Trustees will continue Shaw’s historic legacy of academic excellence and civic engagement."
The Search Committee includes Shaw University trustees, students, faculty and staff as well as business and government leaders in the Raleigh-Durham community. In conjunction with the University’s Board of Trustees, the Committee will conduct focus groups, open forums and listening sessions with representatives of various constituencies as part of its outreach efforts.
"I am pleased we have such a great committee to assist with the search for Shaw’s next president," said Bell. "Shaw is a great institution with a rich history and we expect that many strong candidates will be interested. The selection of a leader for the first historically Black university in the South and among the oldest in the nation is one of our most important tasks. Shaw University seeks to engage members of its community in a collaborative effort to promote business sector growth, to increase economic development opportunities in Wake County and to foster the advancement of Raleigh-Durham's residents."
As outlined in the board policies, the Search Committee will guide the first stage of the search which includes screening applicants, conducting campus interviews and making recommendations to the Board of Trustees. HEAL Global Consulting, a division of HEAL Global, Inc. that provides strategic consulting services to businesses and executive search services to the higher education industry, is assisting with the presidential search. Board Trustee Dr. David C. Forbes, Sr. will serve as chair of the Committee.
"I take the responsibility as chair of this committee very seriously and I am certain each member of the search committee feels the same," said Forbes. "We will do our best to find the most qualified and best-suited visionary leader to become the 17th president of this great university."
The Search Committee held its initial meeting today at 1:00 p.m. on Shaw’s campus. During the meeting, Trustee Bell formally charged Committee members with their roles and responsibilities in conducting the search. Members of the Presidential Search Committee are as follows:
- Trustee David C. Forbes, Sr. committee chair
- Trustee Randolph Bazemore
- Trustee Tom Darden
- Trustee Dallas Joseph
- Trustee Wilson Lacy
- Trustee Donell Lewis
- Trustee James Shaw
- Trustee Lorenzo Williams
- Mr. Timothy Brown, Jr., President & CEO, Brown Realty and Investment Corporation (BRIC), LLC
- Dr. Tashni-Ann Dubroy, Department Chair, Natural Sciences & Math
- Dr. Stanley Elliott, Director-CAPE/Assistant Professor-Public Administration
- Ms. Hazel Gibbs, former Executive Director, Human Resources at Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Ms. Barbara Goodmon, President, A.J. Fletcher Foundation
- Dr. Bruce Grady, Dean-Divinity School/Associate Professor -Religion Education
- Ms. Monique Hyman, MSW, LCSW- R , Assistant Professor Of Social Work/ Curriculum / Quality Coordinator
- Mr. Charles Meeker, Esquire former Mayor of Raleigh, N.C., Partner in the law firm of Parker, Poe, Adams & Bernstein, LLP
- Ms. Y’Mani Miller, Shaw University Student
- Mr. Brandon Moyer, President - Shaw University Student Government Association
- Mr. Bobby Sanders, President Faculty Senate
- Dr. Maria Spaulding, Retired Community Volunteer and former Deputy Secretary, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Dr. Corrie Struble, Program Coordinator for Athletic Training and Exercise Science Programs, Department of Allied Health Professions
- Ms. Ashante Timoll, Assistant Coach-Women's Basketball
Senior Trustee Advisors to the Board Chairman
- Dr. George C. Debnam, MD, retired family medicine physician
- Dr. Willie E. Gary, Esquire, Senior Partner in the law firm of Gary, Williams & Parenti
- Dr. John H. Lucas, former president of Shaw University, Member, Board of Directors, National Education Association
For more information on the Shaw University Presidential Search, please visit www.shawu.edu/Presidential_Search.