For Immediate Release
July 18, 2011
Contact: Sherri Fillingham
Phone: 919-546-8250 / 919-623-9494 cell
President Sends Message to Shaw Community - "Shaw Is Open for Business"
Dr. Irma McClaurin, President of Shaw University, released a message to the Shaw community July 9 which emphasized that the university is open and ready for students for the Fall 2011 semester.
From the statement:
"To paraphrase Mark Twain, the rumors of Shaw University's demise are greatly exaggerated. We are not closed. And, we are now, and always have been, accredited.
"Since the storm damaged Shaw University on April 16, 2011, we have remained open for business. Classes were cancelled eight days early, but our graduation ceremony was attended by more than 350 graduates who returned to march down the aisles, received their diplomas and sing "alma mater, hail." Over 600 students attended summer classes.
"Shaw University is open for business and will greet returning students and the new freshman class of 2015 in mid-August. Information about registration will be sent to students' Shawbear accounts and posted on our website."
Students will see some changes to campus when they return:
- The Willie Gary Student Center is closed for repairs and that area is off limits due to construction.
- In its place, FEMA provided the University with $560,000 for a temporary facility to house the cafeteria. It will be open before New Student Orientation and is located behind the Dimple-Newsome dormitory.
- The offices located within the Willie Gary Student Center have been relocated to other parts of campus. A list will be posted on the website prior to school opening.
- The two large 100-year-old trees at Founder's Plaza are gone.
- Repairs are ongoing from morning to evening on the 26 buildings that received damage to their roofs.
- Dormitories have been repaired and some changes made.
New students begin their transition to Shaw University on August 6, when New Student Orientation begins. Classes for the Fall Semester begin August 17.
Shaw University was founded in 1865 and is the oldest historically black university in the south. Shaw University is a private, co-educational liberal arts University, that awards degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The primary mission of Shaw University is teaching with the commitment to maintain excellence in research and academic programs that foster intellectual enhancement and technological skills.