Skip Navigation
search icon Open Search Field
  • Registration Information

    Changes in Registration (Add/Drop/Withdrawal)

    Any change in a student's registration must have the official approval of the Director of Records and Registration, and the student's advisor. Changes in registration can normally occur only within the prescribed dates shown on the academic calendar. Exceptions must receive special permission from the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

    A student may drop/add a course electronically, during the prescribed period. However, after the drop/add period, a student cannot change his/her schedule electronically. To change a schedule after the drop/add period, a student must obtain written approval through use of a registration transaction form. A student can only withdraw from a course after the drop/add period; they cannot add a course. If a student withdraws from a course, they will receive a grade of "W." A student cannot withdraw from all courses using this procedure. To withdraw from all courses a student must withdraw from the university using an official university withdrawal form.

    Eligibility for Registration

    Eligibility for registration is determined by the following categories:

    • New Student - Upon receipt of a letter of admission, the new student is eligible for registration on the stated days of registration.
    • Re-admitted Student - A student previously registered in the University who was not registered during the preceding semester must apply for and be granted readmission by the appropriate office before being eligible for registration.  Visit Readmission page
    • Continuing Student - A student registered in the immediately preceding semester or the summer session preceding the Fall semester is eligible to register, assuming good standing and enrollment in a continuing program.
    • Completion of Registration - Registration is not complete until financial obligations have been fulfilled. Attendance in class is not permitted until registration has been completed.

    Interinstitutional Registration - Cooperating Raleigh Colleges (CRC)

    Interinstitutional registration among Cooperating Raleigh Colleges (CRC) must be approved by the faculty advisor, the Department Chair and the School Dean. The student is required to meet registration requirements and to follow procedures being used at Shaw University and the college to be visited. Credit for courses taken at CRC institutions is processed and posted for Shaw University students the same as for courses taken in residence. Official registration at the home institution is required for a student to be eligible to participate in the program. A student may enroll at a CRC for a course not offered at Shaw University.