The Counseling Center's focus is to maintain the emotional and psychological well being of our students. In order for our students to succeed in their chosen fields of study they have to be free of emotional and psychological distress. Stress, depression, relationship issues, and dependencies are major factors in our students' failure to compete academically. The Counseling Center endeavors to plan, organize, implement and evaluate programs that provide for personal-social counseling, referral services and general guidance that helps to prepare and accommodate students to college life and ultimately retention and graduation. The Counseling Center is committed to providing confidential services for our diverse population who otherwise might not have or take the opportunity to receive these services.
To attain the outcomes identified in the mission statement, the Counseling Center established the following goals:
- Expand current programs to insure that all students are served.
- Provide ongoing information to students in order to help them make informed decisions regarding emotional and psychological issues that confront them.
- Provide direct services for substance abuse.
- Provide services and support groups to assist the student community in coping and survival skills.
- Increase effectiveness of Disability Services.
- Increase outreach services to enhance and increase visibility of the Counseling Center.
- Continue to upgrade and utilize technology.
- Implement the use of a satisfaction survey to monitor student satisfaction.
- Develop new positive lifestyles without the use of drugs and alcohol.