How to Apply for Financial Aid
- To complete the FAFSA log on to www.fafsa.ed.gov. Please visit this website and review the section “Thinking About College” and click on “view videos on Youtube” for the following 1] Overview of the Financial Aid Process; 2] How to Fill Out the FAFSA and 3] After the FAFSA: What Happens Next. Please make sure you select 2013-2014. (The award year runs from July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014.) The FAFSA is available in both Englishand Spanish. Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1 and before March 1 to receive priority packaging.
- The student and parent must have the following information before completing the FAFSA.
- Completed Parent(s) and Student’s (if applicable) 2012 Federal Income Tax Return(s). Collect any additional income information and have available.
- Federal PIN (Personal Identification Number). You may apply or request a duplicate PIN from www.pin.ed.govYour PIN will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically
- Shaw University’s Federal School Code: 002962
- Once you have completed your FAFSA a Student Aid Report (SAR) will be generated and emailed to you by the federal processor. Review your Student Aid Report, and determine if it is necessary to make corrections. Your FAFSA will be transmitted electronically to Shaw University.
- During the process of applying for aid, the Department of Education randomly selects students for a process called verification. Verification is a process in which certain students receiving financial aid are requested to provide additional proof of their identification and certify that the information on their financial aid materials is correct. This is a federally mandated quality control process. Students selected must send the requested documents to the financial aid office before an award will be made. If your file is selected for verification, the school is required to compare certain data elements reported on your FAFSA. Your SAR will tell you if you have been selected for verification. Financial aid awards will not be made unless allrequired documents are received.
- Once your financial aid file is complete, you will be awarded financial aid based on your eligibility established by completing the FAFSA. The receipt of financial aid is not automatic. Students must apply each year for financial aid, supply all information as required by the federal government and the institution before eligibility is determined. One cannot assume, even if it has been received in the past, that eligibility will automatically continue.
- An award letter notification will be mailed to your permanent address. The address the financial office aid will use to forward your financial aid award notification letter and other correspondence from this office will be the one you furnished to the federal government on your FAFSA when you applied for federal financial assistance. If you have not applied for 2013-2014, go to How to Apply for Financial Aid and click on number one (1). You will go directly to the government's site for completing the FAFSA. Follow the instructions.
- At Shaw University, students are typically offered a loan in their aid package. If you accept this loan you will need to complete loan counseling and a promissory note for the Federal Direct Loan Program. If you reject the loan offered in your financial aid award, no further action will be necessary and you will be responsible for any cost that would have been covered by the loan.
- Keep copies of all Financial Aid documents.
- Attend all classes and have a great semester.