How to Apply for Financial Aid
- To complete the FAFSA log on to www.fafsa.gov. Before beginning go to the 'Thinking About College' section and click on 'view videos on Youtube' to view the following tutorials: How to Create an FSA ID, FAFSA overview, How to Fill Out the FAFSA, and others. The FAFSA is available in both English and Spanish. Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible to receive priority packaging.
- The student and parent must have the following information before completing the FAFSA:
- Parent and student income information, including W-2s and Tax Return Transcripts.
- FSA ID for both student and parent. You can create an FSA ID here.
- Shaw University's Federal School Code: 002962
- Once you have completed your FAFSA a Student Aid Report (SAR) will be generated and emailed to you by the federal processor. Review your Student Aid Report, and determine if it is necessary to make corrections. Your FAFSA will be transmitted electronically to Shaw University.
- During the process of applying for aid, the Department of Education randomly selects students for a process called verification. Verification is a process in which certain students receiving financial aid are requested to provide additional proof of their identification and certify that the information on their financial aid materials is correct. This is a federally mandated quality control process. Students selected must send the requested documents to the financial aid office before an award will be made. If your file is selected for verification, the school is required to compare certain data elements reported on your FAFSA. Your SAR will tell you if you have been selected for verification. Financial aid awards will not be made unless all required documents are received.
- Once your financial aid file is complete, you will be awarded financial aid based on your eligibility established by completing the FAFSA. The receipt of financial aid is not automatic. Students must apply each year for financial aid, and supply all information as required by the federal government and the institution before eligibility is determined. Financial aid awards may change from year to year.
- An award letter notification will be mailed to your permanent address and emailed to university email address. The mailing address the financial office aid will use to forward your financial aid award notification letter and other correspondence will be the address provided on your FAFSA when you applied for federal financial assistance.
- At Shaw University, students are typically offered a loan in their aid package. If you accept this loan you will need to complete loan counseling and a promissory note for the Federal Direct Loan Program. These items can be completed online at studentloans.gov. If you decline the loan offered in your financial aid award package, you will be responsible for any cost that would have been covered by the loan.
- Keep copies of all financial aid documents.
- Attend all classes and have a great semester.