Welcome to the Office of Student Affairs Special Programs
The Office of Student Affairs Special Programs oversees a myriad of projects and services provided by Student Affairs. They include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Planning and Evaluation of the Student Affairs and Student Services Units
- Policy and procedures, manuals, guidelines for operation
- Staff development and budget
- Student Services, One-Card Administrator
About Student Affairs Special Programs
This office works directly with all units in Student Affairs and other non-academic units to insure compliance with strategic planning and evaluation, university mandates, and SACS compliance. After cooperative discussions with the Vice President of Student Affairs and Administration, directors, counselors and other staff; plans, policy and procedures, staff development, and unit publications are developed in this office. Student Affairs budgeting also emanates from this office as budgeting is linked to each unit’s Strategic Plan. Special Programs director provides staff development workshop opportunities for non- academic unit staff members. Surveys, rubrics, and data analysis for Student Affairs programs are developed in this office.
The Student Affairs and Services Division of Shaw University endeavors to bring together alumni, students, faculty, Board of Trustees and community to participate in our many activities. The significance of our activities and events is that they provide an opportunity for alumni to interact with students in a mentoring role. They also provide an excellent time for Shaw University and the triangle community to come together in educational, career building, social, and cultural erudition. Every day in Student Affairs and Services is exciting and busy. The Student Center provides non-stop programming for students, staff, and community. Residence Life, Counseling Center and the Health Center furnish daily services for the student body. Student Activities and Greek Life provide a continuum of programming for the entire Shaw University Community. The Chapel provides programming for spiritual guidance and a place to go for solace and reflection. Enrollment Management serves each student’s enrollment needs; from admission to financial assistance. Shaw University Police and Safety ensure the safety of the Shaw University Family and the Physical Plant responds to all facility and grounds needs and maintains the campus as a facility conducive to living and learning.
University Mission Statement
Shaw University exists to advance knowledge, facilitate student learning and achievement, to enhance the spiritual and ethical values of its students, and to transform a diverse community of learners into future global leaders.
Division Mission Statement
The mission of Student Affairs is to provide valuable experiences that promote student learning, growth and development by providing quality programs, services and activities.
Unit Mission Statement
The Office of Special Programs is dedicated to providing student services, operational programming, and to support events that will enhance student learning, retention and University operations.
Shaw University Institutional Core Values
- Character Development
- Commitment to Excellence and Service
Shaw University Institutional Priorities directly supported by Student Affairs Planning
- Building Institutional Capacity to Support Teaching, Research and Service - To develop institutional capacity through process and policy improvements related to academic, financial, human resource, and infrastructure planning and management in order to support teaching, research, and service.
- Creating Financial Stability and Growth - To promote fundraising and resource development within the institutional context of financial process improvements that includes effective policies and management practices.
- Enhancing Student Success and Competitive Edge in Academic and Career Pursuits - To enhance student success and improve retention by creating resources, training, and mentorship opportunities that support student career preparation integrated with their academic programs.
- Enhancing Community Engagement and Service - To build and promote an institutional community service culture that links with community partners to advance the teaching, research, and service mission of the University.
The Office of Special Programs provides staff development workshop opportunities for non-academic unit staff members. Workshops include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Planning in Student Affairs
- Shaw University’s Priorities and Student Affairs
- Customer Service
- One Card uses for Service Areas
- Intervention and Retention
- SSI Results and how we use those results in Student Affairs
- External Training