Thomas J. Boyd Chapel History
The Thomas J. Boyd Chapel at Shaw University was first dedicated on June 15, 1948. After World War II, the United States military had a surplus of wood framed "temporary" chapel buildings which were being made available to the civilian sector. Shaw University applied for one of these chapels and it was received from Camp Sutton.
In 1993, the Thomas J. Boyd Chapel was completely renovated. The renovation was made possible through funds donated by Dr. Thomas J. Boyd, a 1948 Shaw graduate for whom the chapel was subsequently named. Dr. Boyd, who was born in Brooklyn, New York, was active on campus during his time at Shaw and served as the student body president during his senior year.
While at Shaw, he assumed the pastorate of Pleasant Plains Baptist Church in Ahoskie, North Carolina and would later return to New York to serve as the pastor of Salem Missionary Baptist Church in Brooklyn. He served as pastor of Salem for 45 years until his retirement in 2006. Dr. Boyd remained a strong supporter of Shaw, initiating a lecture series in honor of his late mother Bessie Boyd Holman, and contributing to various Chapel events, programs, and seminars.
The re-dedication of the Thomas J. Boyd Chapel took place on November 21, 1993. Today, the Chapel continues to serve as an educational sanctuary for Shaw’s students, staff and community where their religious commitment can be enhanced and uplifted.
View Chapel Photos