Center for Teaching and Learning - Mission
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) strives to empower Shaw University faculty and staff by providing professional, instructional, and curricular development opportunities. With a commitment to learning, creativity, innovation and quality service,the Center is guided by the principles of visionary leadership, data driven decisions and continuous improvement.
The mission of the Center is fulfilled by:
- Creating an office that provides opportunities and resources to help strengthen professional and technological skills of faculty and staff.
- Providing funds for faculty and staff to attend conferences and workshops pertinent to teaching and the learning process, technological skills, as well as customer focused training.
- Organizing on-campus workshops and
conferences related to evidence-based innovative pedagogy, integration
and use of technology and other scholarly activities.
- Instituting activities that help new employees quickly adjust and get assimilated into the institutional and professional arenas.
- Providing a supportive and rewarding system for faculty and staff who are innovative and are recognized by their peers for their excellence.
- Providing financial assistance in the form of mini-grant awards for activities and projects geared toward promoting and improving teaching effectiveness, scholarship, and enhancing student learning.
- Providing a forum for faculty to dialog with one another -brown-bag seminars - sharing ideas, discussing issues that are pertinent to the overall teaching profession, individual research, and/or student learning, while also creating a sense of community.
In alignment with the vision of Shaw University’s Centers of
Excellence, the Center for Teaching and Learning will become recognized as an
office that (1) supports faculty in the areas of pedagogy, mentoring, research
and leadership while utilizing evidence-based best practices to improve and
sustain excellence in pedagogy and student learning and (2) provides services
that meet the evolving needs of our clients, resulting in them choosing us
first and recognizing us as their best choice.
Additionally, through activities provided by the CTL, faculty and staff
build partnerships and develop skills to strengthen not only their lives and
our students but their communities as well.