Library and Faculty Services
- Book Orders - Faculty may use the online form to order books and materials for the library.
- Chat Reference Service – Faculty and students are invited to chat online during the hours of 10 a.m. -12 p.m. and 8 p.m. – 9 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays using the NC Knows reference feature on the library’s website. Users can type any research question and receive an immediate response.
- Collection Development Service – Faculty is asked to recommend materials for purchase for their disciplines each year.
- Information Literacy Planning Guide for Faculty
- Interlibrary Loan – This service allows Shaw University students and faculty to borrow books and materials not owned by Shaw University from other academic libraries.
- Library Liaisons - Library liaisons are assigned to each CAPE site to offer research assistance and database training to students and faculty.
- Library Computer Station & Lab – located on the 1st and 2nd floors of the library.
- Library Class Assistance – Need a library instruction session for your students? The staff can help you develop a research component for your classes. Call the library to schedule an instructional session.
- Media Services Equipment (for faculty) – Laptops, iPads, Clickers, TV-VCR cart, LCD projectors.
- Reciprocal Borrowing Arrangements – Through CRC agreements Shaw University’s students and faculty are allowed to utilize the services and borrowing privileges of partnering colleges and universities in North Carolina.
- Reserves – Faculty may place high-demand items on reserve at the Circulation Desk for students' use. Faculty may reserve the following materials for their classes:
- Library books, videos, or other materials, adhering to copyright laws
- Personal copies of books or videos
To place items on reserve for class(es) faculty should:
- Bring to the Library's Circulation Desk the items that are to be made available to the students.
- Complete the Library Request Form and indicate how long the item is to be placed on reserve.
- Please allow at least 24 hours for processing of reserved materials. For electronic reserves, attach to the Faculty Class Reserve Materials Request form a copy of the article(s) to be made available.
Assistance for Students with Disabilities
The library staff provides assistance in determining the availability of books and periodicals housed in the libraries for patrons with disabilities. The staff also provides telephone assistance with finding out the status of an item and provides assistance with photocopying on a limited basis. The library staff also ensures access and instruction to computers and library technology for patrons with disabilities. For more information, visit the Disabilities Access Services page.