We provide individual consultations for any type of writing and for any stage of the writing process.
What is a consultation?
A consultation is a chance for you to work with a writing consultant (in-person or virtually) and discuss a specific piece of writing you are working on. You and your consultant will focus on developing solutions for various problem areas. The types of problem areas include content development, thesis statements, topic sentences, organization, incorporating research, grammar, formatting and citation, and style. Feel free to bring in any paper you want some guidance on. Our consultations last about 30 minutes.
What to expect?
Writing Consultants assist students with everything from brainstorming to revising a final draft. The types of problem areas we usually work on are content development, thesis statements, organization, incorporating research, grammar, and style, but feel free to bring in any paper you want some guidance on.
Getting the most from a session
The Writing Center is a place for you to experiment with your writing—you may try a new type of introduction, or a different way of structuring a sentence. Be open to that experimentation. Your consultant will not tell you what to do. She will ask you
a lot of questions about what your intentions are with the piece and offer suggestions that will help make those intentions clear to a reader. The choice to make a change is yours.
The same idea applies to grammar problems. Your consultant will point out any patterns of problems she sees, and will teach you how to avoid that problem. It will be up to you (with your consultant’s guidance) to find and change instances of that problem.
How to prepare
You will need your assignment and any notes/drafts that you have done (in hard copy even if you uploaded your essay). Be sure to check for assignment guidelines in Moodle and complete any readings or planning that you can ahead of time.
What is the Difference Between E-Touring and Online Appointments?
- Online: If you choose an online appointment, you will work with a writing consultant in real-time in WC Online. Meetings take place using the built-in consultation module. Log in to WC Online five minutes before the start of your appointment. Then, select "Start or Join Online Consultation."
- E-Tutoring: If you choose an eTutoring appointment, a writing consultant will independently review your paper and send you feedback/suggestions in WC Online within 24 hours of your appointment. If you would prefer to meet with the writing consultant over Zoom, please specify on your appointment form.
Rules for consultations
- For e-tutoring appointments, writing consultants must have at least 24 hours to return submissions.
- All appointments must have the assignment guidelines uploaded.
- All appointments must come with at least a draft, some brainstorming started, and very clear expectations. Papers cannot be given to a consultant without clear instructions.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, you can do also in WC Online or call the Writing Center at 919-546-8468.
- If you are more than five minutes late to your appointment, it may be given to a walk-in client or cancelled. It will be recorded as a missed appointment.
- After three missed appointments in one semester, your ability to make appointments will be revoked. You are still encouraged to use the Writing Center on a walk-in basis.
- Submit only your own work. It is not the responsibility of the Writing Center to identify plagiarism; if you are unsure if you are plagiarizing, please bring in the source with your paper. If a consultant believes a paper is plagiarized, they are at liberty to end the consultation and will contact your professor.