Shaw University Announces 2022 Awards Day Speaker Alumnus Jermaine Simmons
Mr. Simmons is an innovative and seasoned leader with over twenty three years of experience in audit, operational risk, derivative middle office, and securities operations management from top tier financial institutions.
Read More >
Awards Day Program
Each year in the month of April, Shaw University celebrates the academic successes of its students during the annual Awards Day program. Our students are formally recognized for their academic excellence (GPAs, outstanding role models, honor societies,
and scholarship recipients).
View Awardees >
This year, Awards Day will stream live online:
- All awardees are listed in the Awards Day Program.
- After the ceremony, students can pick up their Award Pins and Certificates at the following locations:
- School of Arts Sciences and Humanities Majors
• Location: Roberts Science Building (SCI) Room 201
• Days: Tuesdays & Thursdays
• Times: 10:00AM - 1:00PM
• Contact Information: Dr. Alycia Marcena
- School of Business and Professional Studies Majors
• Location: Tupper Hall (TUP) Room 102
• Days: Tuesdays & Thursdays
• Times: 1:00PM - 4:00PM
• Contact Information: Ms. Vickie Spears
- School of Divinity Programs
• Location: Leonard Hall (LEO) Wiggins Library
• Days: Monday - Fridays
• Times: 10:00AM - 4:00PM
• Contact Information: Ms. Patricia Powell
*Note sure which School your major falls under, click here
- Casual or Semi Formal. It is preferred that you wear your Shaw University blazer or similar.
Shaw University undergraduates are eligible for academic awards if they meet the following criteria:
- Full-time enrollment in the fall semester (2021) (at least 12 hours), and
- Cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 at the end of the fall 2020 semester
- (Cumulative GPAs which qualify students for awards and the students’ names are listed in the program, on certificates. Certificates are officially verified by the Registrar’s office.)
|Presidential List Awards
||Certificates and Pins (4.0 GPA)
|Dean’s List Awards
Certificates and Pins
The Gold Pins (3.76-3.99)
The Silver Pins (3.50-3.74)
Bronze Pins (3.25--3.49)
Honors Pins (3.00-3.24)
|Outstanding Students by Major
|| Certificates Only (Awarded Selected by the Student’s Academic Department)
Honors Scholar (Honors Program)
Honda Campus All-Star Challenge Awards
Battle of Brains Awards
Students matriculating through the Honors Program
(3.25-4.0) Certificates Only
|Outstanding First-Year Students
Office of Retention
Bachelor’s degrees with Latin honors are awarded to undergraduate students who have earned 50 or more semester hours in residence at Shaw University, in accordance with the following scale: 3.75-4.00, summa cum laude; 3.50-3.74,
magna cum laude; and 3.25-3.49, cum laude. Graduates will be presented with honor cords at the graduation rehearsal.
The Alpha Chi Honor Society is coeducational academic honor society that promotes academic excellence and exemplary character among college and university students. It is for students whose cumulative grade point average is 3.25
and above who have earned at least 60 credit hours.
The Alpha Kappa Mu Honor Society is for students whose cumulative grade point average is 3.50 and above who have earned at least 60 credit hours at Shaw University or 45 hours if a transfer student.
The Beta Kappa Chi National Scientific Honor Society is for outstanding students in the natural sciences. A chapter functions under the guidance of the area of mathematics and sciences. Membership is based upon scholastic achievement
in the sciences.
The Phi Alpha Honor Society’s goal is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership
those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
Awards Day Programs
If you did not get a program, or want to look for recognition you may have received, these are now available for your use. (Please note that Awards Day was not held in 2011 due to the tornado and immediate closing of the University thereafter.)
Latin Honors at Graduation
Bachelor’s degrees with Latin honors are awarded to undergraduate students who have earned 50 or more semester hours in residence at Shaw University, in accordance with the following scale:
- 3.75-4.00, summa cum laude (meaning "with highest honor"); garnet cords are given to summa cum laude graduates.
- 3.50-3.74, magna cum laude (meaning "with great honor"); these graduates receive red cords.
- 3.25-3.49, cum laude (meaning "with honor"); these graduates receive gold cords.
Graduates will be presented with honor cords at the graduation rehearsal.