Skip Navigation
search icon Open Search Field

For Immediate Release
July 7, 2011
Contact: Sherri Fillingham
Phone: 919-546-8250

State-federal disaster assistance program provides funds for temporary kitchen 

RALEIGH, N.C. – Shaw University will once again nourish its hungry student population while feeding the minds of tomorrow’s leaders.

Federal Emergency Management Agency and North Carolina Emergency Management officials today joined university administrators on the historic campus to witness the initial installation of a temporary mobile kitchen and multiple modular units totaling 9,300 square feet. The facility, will serve hot meals to hundreds of students daily while the main cafeteria in the Willie E. Gary Student Center is undergoing repairs. The building was damaged by the April 16 tornado.

“This kitchen allows us to not only open for the Fall Semester, but to ensure that our students have the best service possible,” said Shaw University President Dr. Irma McClaurin.  “We want to thank the Federal Emergency Management Agency and North Carolina Emergency Management not only for this kitchen and cafeteria space, but for all they’ve done to help Shaw after the tornado.”

Shaw University, as an eligible private non-profit organization, applied for Public Assistance funding with the assistance of Wallace Green, president of the Raleigh Area Development Authority. The school completed the first step of the process by filing claims with its insurance carrier, Diamond State Insurance Company. Public Assistance grants from FEMA and the state will help pay for work not covered by insurance to bring facilities back to pre-storm condition.

“Since the April 19 presidential disaster declaration we’ve partnered with Shaw University on its recovery,” said North Carolina Emergency Management Director Doug Hoell. “This mobile kitchen and portable dining room exemplifies how state and federal Public Assistance funding works.”

The university’s eligible costs for repair can be reimbursed by the Public Assistance program implemented as part of the presidential disaster declaration. Under the cost-share program, FEMA pays 75 percent of eligible costs and, on this disaster, the state is paying the remaining  25 percent nonfederal share. 

“We are partners in helping North Carolina support this historic university in its recovery,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Mike Bolch. “This temporary unit will ensure Shaw’s students return to a university with adequate facilities in time for the start of the fall semester.”

Shaw University, the oldest historically black university in the south, saw 27 of its buildings damaged, with the student center and two dormitories experiencing the greatest impact from the tornado. The student center suffered extensive damage with windows blown out and a hole torn in the roof. The 9,300 square foot cafeteria and offices experienced wind and water damage to ceiling tiles, sheet rock and light fixtures.

Winds from the April 16 storm shattered windows in a total of four student dormitories, tore up fencing, and uprooted trees on the campus grounds, creating massive amounts of debris.

The mobile kitchen, contracted through Kitchen Corps of Chesapeake, Va., and additional modular units from Sustainable Modular Management (SMM) of Raleigh, N.C., will be located behind the Fleming-Kee men’s dormitory, just north of Martin Luther King Blvd. between South Blount and South Person Streets. The temporary dining facility is expected to begin operating Aug. 1 and remain on campus until early 2012. The total project cost is nearly $570,000.  

FEMA and NCEM have identified other eligible permanent work and mitigation measures at Shaw University. Projects include strengthening and upgrading roofs and glass at the Gary Student Center, Fleming-Kee and Dimple-Newsome dormitories, and repair to the playground at the university’s Child Development Center. Public Assistance funding also helped pay for debris removal.

# # #

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. 

Shaw University was founded in 1865 and is the oldest historically black university in the south. Shaw University is a private, co-educational liberal arts University, that awards degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The primary mission of Shaw University is teaching with the commitment to maintain excellence in research and academic programs that foster intellectual enhancement and technological skills. 


Cafeteria Trailers